Thursday, October 17, 2013

         What It Means To Be American 
 Americans are known for many things around the world like being lazy and being rude. Americans are also known to be very close to their electronics. America has no set culture attached to it so it doesn't take much to be considered an American.
     America is supposedly the "melting pot" of the world because it has so many different types of people living in it. America has people of different races, religions, and cultures living in it so you could say it is pretty diverse. This same diversity makes it almost impossible to define what an american is. How do you create a definition or classification for millions of different people? The fact that America doesn't really have a culture only makes it that much harder to call someone an American based on a definition. Most people identify with the culture their family practices and uses that to define "what" they are even if they weren't born there. On technical terms, if you're born in America, you are American but where a person is born often doesn't define who they are as well as the traditions they practice. Since America doesn't really have any cultural traditions people don't usually deem themselves Americans as often as they use their ancestors to define who they are.  
      I would say that there is no real way to explain what it means to be American other than the literal meaning of being born in America. America is a younger country and lacks the distinctive cultural characteristics  that a lot of other countries have. America's mixture of races and cultures also makes it hard to specify what an American is. I think any U.S citizen who claims the title of an American is an American.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, America really lacks a distinct culture that sets us apart to be able to identify with. When people ask me what I am, I don't reply with "I'm American!" I reply with "I'm Mexican," because its usually what people are asking for, and its so much easier to identify with. I often connect myself with my Mexican heritage, rather than doing something because its the "American thing" to do. And even those often seem to be the things I wouldn't be proud of, such as "being lazy and being rude," as you have put it. And I agree, Americans don't really have positive stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you not think that the ideas our country was made with label us as 'americans?' Our ideals are really different than other countries that may have more traditions and history, and those are what we should say make us who we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your last comment, that whomever identifies as an american is one. I think it is more opinion based on how you define an american and what i may think of as an american can differ from your idea of one. Great Writing!!!

    ReplyDelete