Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I Celebrate Myself

                           I Celebrate Myself

   I celebrate myself sometimes but mostly on special occasions. I celebrate myself once every year on my birthday, I might also celebrate myself if I obtained some sort of achievement or were to win a contest. Wedding days, birthdays, parties are all things people use to celebrate themselves. I don't win contest 24/7 and everyday is not my birthday, these celebrations only happen once or twice a year. Am i celebrating myself enough? Do I reach the transcendental standard for self honor? I don't think I could ever reach such high expectations of self glorifying.

   Transcendentalists believe in dropping all duties of society in order to pursue happiness. This pursuit of happiness is a celebration to yourself because you overcome the corruptions of society to be rewarded this happiness. I don't think i could ever celebrate myself to this extent. I couldn't give up everything i worked for for the chance that I might be happy. I could just except the celebrations society provides for me rather than looking for honor on the outskirts of nowhere. Why venture into the wilderness when I could throw a party. To me, transcendental  celebration is a bit extreme and not always needed. Many of people have discovered what makes them happy while still remaining within the confinements of society.

   I celebrate myself often but not to the extent that would please a transcendentalist. I don't think I need to spiritually connect with nature to be happy or to reward myself. Society can be just as rewarding as nature.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you stated one of the beliefs of Transcendentalists, the belief on dropping all duties of society in order to purse happiness and how this dropping of societal duties in the corrupted society is a way to gain happiness. I would like to challenge your idea on you said society can be as rewarding as nature can because society in reality is prison for everyone, it actually confine everyone's individuality and their freedom of expressing their opinion, while for nature, nature gives you all the amount of freedom you want and allows you to do whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete